Following the recent death of a puppy in England, the British Veterinary Association has warned pet owners to take care and ensure that e-cigarettes and their refills are kept out of the reach of cats and dogs.
The puppy had become ill after consuming an e-cigarette refill and died the next day despite treatment.
Nicotine poisoning is rapid and potentially fatal, especially when large doses are involved, said BVA presedent Robin Hargreares. E-cigarettes and refill can easily contain sufficient quantities to kill a small animal quickly.
If you suspect that your pet has eaten or chewed an e-cigarette or refill, it is vital to seek emergency veterinary treatment.